Weekend DIY: Heirloom Pumpkin Flower Arrangement



Last week, on a whim, I decided to carve the top off of my favorite gray heirloom pumpkin and gather some flowers from my garden to make a flower arrangement for my kitchen table. 

It was so easy that I thought I would create a blog post that empowers some of you to

Just Do It

Other than the pumpkin, everything for the arrangement came from my garden.



The white blooms are from the Limelight Hydrangea that surround my new patio. Most of the blooms are starting to dry and turn a rustic lime green with the exception of these two white blooms. You can see the darker lime green Hydrangea around the base of the pumpkin. Last year, when we were choosing plants for my new garden, I thought a lot about adding plants that I could use in arrangements. Every year I try to add something new to the yard that gives me more variety.




Sadie, my constant companion, is always directly underfoot. 


I love the silvery hues of Lavender and the texture of Lambs Ear. They complement the color of the gray pumpkin. I also used clippings from my Elaeagnus bush. You can see it just at the right edge of the photo with the little white flowers. The leaves have a wonderful texture and silvery color, especially the back of the leaves. The green berries are from my Lagustrom hedge. For this arrangement, I took off most of the dark green leaves and just used the berries.




I carved out all the seeds like you would normally do when making a jack-o'-lantern and lined the cavity with a plastic bag and trimmed off the excess. I filled it with oasis that I had soaked with warm water while I collected flowers from the garden. Last, fill the plastic-lined cavity with water.


Here's the arrangement mid-way through before I added the white Hydrangea.

Have a nice weekend!




Photobucket
You have read this article with the title Weekend DIY: Heirloom Pumpkin Flower Arrangement. You can bookmark this page URL http://enjoywithluh.blogspot.com/2013/10/weekend-diy-heirloom-pumpkin-flower.html. Thanks!

1 comment for "Weekend DIY: Heirloom Pumpkin Flower Arrangement"

  1. This is beautiful!! I have been looking for a fall arrangement that doesn't have the typical colors of orange and red and this is perfect!! I'm going to try it this weekend, thank you for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete